Thursday 5 May 2016

Busy as the busiest bee on the busiest bee day of the year!

So I ended up doing a 3 month stint with Pure Crafts in Northampton. It was so helpful to know that my work will sell in a shop. I ended up selling four canvases in the end which is not bed but I feel that doing local face to face craft fairs will probably be nicer and a lot more gratifying, even if I don't sell anything.

Going back to work plus looking after my mischievous toddler and trying to find some time to do art is sooooooooooooooo hard! Since returning to my job as a teacher in January I have barely had time to breath let alone make new canvases. Yet somehow I seem to keep going. Every so often I just ditch the marking and prioritise myself and my art, which is no bad thing, although I struggle not to feel guilty. How I wish I could make a proper business out of this. There are no scrapbooking and mixed media stores in Bath at all and very few craft clubs too. I can see that there is a niche but giving up my full time, secure teaching job in order to start a craft business seems like career suicide. It probably is! What would be really helpful is if hubby could become a millionaire and then I wouldn't need to worry!

I recently did my third craft fair at Elim Pentecostal Ladies Pamper Evening which was really successful. The picture below is my stall. I sold 5 pieces which is one more than the last two years and more than the 3 months with Pure Crafts. I've had a couple of requests for commissions too and even an invite to do a workshop in a school but I've no idea whether they will come to anything.

I have also taken the plunge and applied to be a stall seller at Bath Artisan Market. When I visited at Christmas I loved the atmosphere and although there were a lot of people selling prints I didn't see anyone with canvas art like my own so hopefully they will accept me and can have a go at selling there. At the very least I will be able to be part of the arty community of Bath. Keep your fingers crossed for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment